Wednesday, May 7, 2014

York River State Park




It's a rare thing that I have a day off and nothing already planned.  It's even more rare that on a day with nothing planned the kids have school, Mark has to work and I'm pretty much free to do whatever it is I feel like doing.  This past Monday was exactly that kind of day!   I took advantage of the time and visited a place I've been interested in visiting but knew that everyone else would only be going because of me.  I got up early (ish)....I mean it was a day OFF....and headed East on I64 towards Williamsburg.  I took the 231B, Croaker, exit and followed the signs.  Before I knew it I was at York River State Park.

Like I mentioned before I have wanted to visit this park for a while now.  I've passed by the exit at least a dozen times in the last couple years and every time I would think "I need to visit that park".  I was surprised at how close it is to home and how close it is to our favorite wineries ;-) 

The park is located right on the York River and on Taskinas Creek.  So you get marshes, forest trails and river beaches  all in one park.  I saw herons, hawks, deer, and one black snake.  He went one way and I went the other!   According to their website they offer canoe and kayak rentals during the summer for use on the river and creek.  I also saw paddle boats on the small pond that is located in the park as well.  But no bike rentals.  Like the other state parks we've visited, they have bathrooms, pavilions, playgrounds and a visitor center.  This is a day use park only though...no camping or cabins.   













I spent a good five hours hiking around the park and sitting on the river beaches.  Now that I've seen the park I think the kids would all find something here they can enjoy.  Maybe when we visit the local wineries again we can make the extra trek here for a picnic afterwards!

No comments:

Post a Comment