Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Fairy Stone State Park

 
You know I have a crazy love for the Virginia State Parks.  If you haven't fallen in love yourself with them then maybe this post will help you see the light. 
 
This story started 1/1/15 at a different Virginia State Park.  The Busy Bryants went on a First Day Hike at Pocahontas State Park and while out hiking I snapped some pictures.  I entered one of those pictures in the State Park's First Day Hike picture contest.  I won a gift certificate that could be used with the Virginia State Parks.  I planned my trips for the year and squeezed in a weekend trip to Fairy Stone State Park.   Fairy Stone (FS) is located in Patrick County VA, just northwest of Martinsville.  The name of the park comes from the stones or rocks that can be found in and around the park.  Since we were going in November we opted for a cabin. 
 


Our home for the weekend...and the one with the best view of the lake.
 
The cabins are all furnished and have the essentials for a short stay.  Linens, dishes, a bundle of firewood...they do NOT have phones, televisions or Wi-Fi.  I could not have been happier.  At these particular cabins we also did not have cell phone service.  At first the 16 year old went through withdrawal.  Then she found out how much fun it was to play cards with her family and color with her sister :-)  I spent hours sitting on the screened in porch checking out the view of the lake. 



 
We snuck in a hike on our last day there on the Little Mountain Falls Trail.  This trail has a spot that is cleared enough you can see the Blue Ridge Mountains off in the distance and it's own waterfall.




 
The park offers camping (tent and campers), pavilions for picnics, a beach for swimming in the summer and has it's own equestrian camp.  Nearby you have Martinsville, The Blue Ridge Mountains, and or course a couple wineries. 
 
 
Everyone in the family agreed that this park deserves a visit in the summer.  Actually I'll visit again any time.  But a summer visit will be a top priority.  We want to try out the swimming and maybe go out kayaking on the lake.  I soaked in the pleasure of sitting on the porch and just listening to the animals in the woods...but the laughter from my family and memories that we created...that is what I LOVED.  Even my 16 year old agreed. 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment