Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Natural Tunnel State Park



Way over in South West Virginia, in Duffield, is Natural Tunnel State Park.  It hosts what some call the 8th natural wonder of the world, a natural tunnel that has been formed by time and water over the last gazillion years.  Ok, probably not gazillion....but I'm no scientist so I really don't know how long it took.  What I do know is that it is marvelous.  My parents, the kids and myself sent part of last week and the weekend at the park camping and taking in everything the park had to offer.  And even with 5 days of fun we didn't get in EVERYTHING the park has available. 

First some shots of the park leading up to the tunnel....


A solid wall of rock that the tunnel runs through





A train actually runs through the tunnel


This is not "THE" tunnel...


THIS is THE tunnel

 





All the above pictures were shot from the base
of the rock near the tunnel entrance


This was taken from above.  This was taken
from Lover's Leap Observation point.



Can you make out a trail on top of this section?  I'll
be over there hiking in a minute.

The Tunnel is running
through this section

I called this...the maze :)


No she doesn't have on pants....don't judge!

We're getting closer...


No time to rest....must keep moving.

Looking back at Lover's Leap....


Looking back down on the Tunnel






 
Now to hike BACK to camp


All that hiking wore her out

The two different perspectives of the tunnel were taken two different days.  I found the observation point from Lover's Leap by accident.  Wanted to get Emma out of the camp for a little while and took her on a walk down a trail...but stumbled on that awesome view.  It was amazing.  There are still plenty of pictures to post but I think I'll save them for tomorrow.  Happy trails everybody.


No comments:

Post a Comment