Friday, August 1, 2014

Richmond's New Pump House

In the mood to visit a Richmond historal building that is over 150 years old???  If so there are dozens of places like that around Richmond and on Monday I had my heart set on visiting one.  The New Pump House or Byrd Park Pump House is located at the Southern portion of Byrd Park on the James River and Kanawha Canal.  The Pump House spent several years providing the city with water as well as a place for concerts and parties.  I had read a few articles and seen a few photos so I've had it in the back of my mind to visit. 





I can imagine that area lit up with candle light for an evening concert



From what I've read in articles Richmonders would board flat bottom boats up stream and travel by way of the canal to the Pump House.  Once here they would celebrate in the pavilion area until time to return home.  Now the windows are boarded up and the building is in various levels of disrepair...but you can still see the charm and attraction of the once great pump house.  There are a few trails right around the building that seem to only lead to the nearby rail road and to a portion of the canal. There has been work on the building in order to restore and preserve it.  I for one would love to attend a concert or ball here one hot summer night :-) 

No comments:

Post a Comment