Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pocohontas State Park

I will be the first to admit that for years and years I never really took advantage of the many parks right here in my own back yard.  I went to Maymont Park enough and maybe Petersburg National Battlefield but never visited the State Parks, didn't go to my local children's parks unless there was a formal function and I can probably count on one hand the number of times I planned a trip just to look at leaves.  Actually that would have been never until last year.  But then something changed....no idea what but now I have a goal to visit every State Park and I can just about map out my local parks without looking. 

Close to a year ago I started looking at ways I could give back to the State Parks system.  Almost all of the State Parks have volunteer or "friend" groups and some offer host programs.  I live closest to Pocohontas State Park and wanted to put in some time there doing what I could.  I signed up online to volunteer and they contacted me with some needs they had.  I decided I would help with their recycling program and so now about every two weeks I make a trip to the park to help with recycling.  Once I'm there I just might go on a walk or sit for a bit under a big tree...maybe drop the kids off by the swimming pool with Mark :)




Pocohontas State Park


Swimming Pools
   

Part of the swimming facility

They have a huge swimming area for campers and visitors.  It's only open in the summer of course but when it is open it's usually packed!  There is a snack bar and area to eat right here within the pool area but there are also pavilions and picnic tables located around the outside of the pool area as well. 


The pavilions can be rented for special events.


Plenty of Picnic Tables

There are hiking, biking and horse trails all over the park.  You can fish, boat, kayak, play volleyball, lay on a blanket in the sun.  A few trails that I enjoy in particular are just over the foot bridge here....


Foot bridge to the other side.




In the summer you can rent a kayak.


Small Boat Ramp.

The family has also been to the park when I'm not here to work.  We have hiked, come here to swim, I have biked a small part of it (thought I would die doing it!) and we have come for school athletic events.  They have camping (both tent and RV), a dining hall for rental, a CCC museum, a Nature Center, and an amphitheater. 


Nature Center and Meeting Center.


CCC Museum


Going down!



There are so many more things to see at this park as well as all the other Virginia State Parks.  And while I was there Sunday I couldn't help but feel like a kid...when the wind would blow and all the leaves came falling down on me :)  I wanted to make a leaf pile and jump in.  I resisted! 



My favorite picture of the day. 








No comments:

Post a Comment